Thursday, December 4, 2008

Be There When They Light The Tree


Last night (Dec 3, 2008) they held the lighting ceremony for the big tree in Rockefeller Center. Being originally from the New York area, every year my family would try to make a pilgrimage into the city to see "the Tree." Between the Tree, the street vendors selling roasted chestnuts and the fanciful window displays, the holiday season can be pretty special in New York. That is at least if the crowds aren't too bad.

When I went to visit my mom last weekend for Thanksgiving I was too early to see the Tree all lit up. But I did venture into Manhattan with my mom on Friday evening. We stumbled upon a smaller tree lighting ceremony near South Street seaport which featured a blue grass group and a chorus (and Santa and Frosty). It was pretty cute and neighborhoody. We also made it to the Metropolitan Museum of Art where we saw their Christmas tree decked out with all the angels and the Baroque Neapolitan nativity scene. And afterwards we naturally checked out the suits of armor.

In honor of the holiday season in New York, I thought I'd share with you the Pogues and Kirsty MacColl singing their classic Fairytale of New York. It is assuredly the sweetest Christmas song to feature the word "faggot".



And allow me to take this opportunity to suggest that now might be a good time for you to check out my post from around this time last year counting down 12 of my least favorite Christmas songs.


Tree image by Associated Press

No comments: