Sunday, March 16, 2008

Happy Saint Patrick's Day

It's almost Saint Patrick's Day! When I was a kid, my parents seemed to look for any excuse to affect an Irish brogue (mostly they would say "Oh, tis a grand day" and "Oh, the quiet man"). More recently, I've tried to keep this tradition up with my impression of Ardal O'Hanlon (aka Father Dougal from Father Ted, or Thermoman from My Hero), but Nicole told me I sound more like the Lucky Charms dude.

Anyway, I've always enjoyed celebrating Saint Patrick's Day whether I was drinking Guinness, eating corned beef and cabbage, listening to Irish folk music, or catching green beads and potatoes on Maple Street. To help you observe this grand day, I've uploaded a few Irish songs. The recording of Molly Bawn by Bonnie "Prince" Billy and Harem Scarem was actually recorded in Edinburgh, but it is nevertheless a popular Irish folk song. Enjoy!

Songs for St. Patrick's Day 2008

Shamrock photo taken from flickrs St Patrick's Day group.

4 comments:

Josie said...

FIRST! hehe
i also love the nola st. patty's day parade. Where else can you catch something to berl up for dinner?
I always loved the St. Charles parade. On one particular St. Patty's Day, a rider made eye contact with me and kept pointing to me insistent that I be the one to receive his throw. I was psyched that I been singled out and anxiously threw my hands up in the air to catch his prize. A smallish box went whizzing through the air and landed at my feet. I picked it up and waved gratefully to the rider. I then looked down only to discover that he had thrown me a home pregnancy test kit.

taleswapper said...

"One more time, Dougle. Very small...Far away."
ha ha ha ha ha

sorry

Meeg said...

Father Dougal: God, Ted, I heard about those cults. Everyone dressing in black and saying our Lord's gonna come back and judge us all!

Father Ted: No... No, Dougal, that's us. That's Catholicism

nola32 said...

you're not actually meant to take it seriously, are you ted?

what dougle?

heaven and hell and everlasting life?

you are so meant to take it seriously!

no!!