Monday, November 12, 2007

One more thing about giant peccary...


How long do you think it will be until we see Anthony Bourdain eat one of these?

Now I think Anthony Bourdain is great. He first made a name for himself as a top chef in New York City. Then he published several books most notably Kitchen Confidential, about what goes on in the kitchen of a fine dining restaurant, and A Cook's Tour. Now he basically gets paid to travel the world: eating, drinking (perhaps to excess), getting into mischief, and writing/talking about it. This makes me very jealous. I'll admit that when I first saw Bourdain I thought he looked sort of like a sleazebag. He's tall and practically Mick Jagger thin, with a leathery face that looks like its been through years of abuse. But, whatever, you don't tune into his travel show to look at him. And to be fair he knows a lot about food, and he's pretty much up for everything. He also has the right attitude: I remember him saying that when he travels somewhere like Texas -- which as a New Yorker he's long harbored ill sentiments about -- he now recognizes it as a foreign culture and thus tries to give local customs the same respect he would if he were somewhere in China or Africa. I'm all about that: I say you can get a lot out of life if you treat everything as a cultural learning experience. Well most things anyway. And if Bourdain occassionally talks smack about celebrity chefs Rachel Ray and Bobby Flay, who's going to complain?

I LOVE No Reservations, the Travel Channel show where Bourdain hops around the globe stopping in different locales to show us the sights and sample the local cuisine. One week he'll be somewhere as mundane as Cleveland or New Jersey, and the next he'll be someplace as off-the-beaten track as Uzbekistan or Ghana. The show's emphasis is always on food and drink, but Bourdain also tours around and occasionally performs some wild stunts. Even the less exotic, domestic stops are brilliant because they show you what and where to eat if you ever find yourself there.

But the thing I've noticed is that Bourdain eats a whole lot of pork everywhere he goes on the show. Seriously, next time you watch the show check it out -- he loves him some treif. I think we should make a drinking game out of it (because life is one big drinking game if you play it correctly), and whenever you see Bourdain (a) chowing down on some swine or (b) say pointing at some pigs snouts at the market and going "mmm, my favorite" you take a shot. Who's in?

Photo (c) Travel Channel

7 comments:

mennu said...

I'm definately up for the treif drinking game. It's fun AND educational.

Meeg said...

Plus it'll get you drunk.

I like the episode where he's in the mountains of Vietnam and they serve him something they call "squeazel" and "forest creature" which turns out to be porcupine.

Amanda Fliger said...

I LOVE A.B. I think it would be a great drinking game--and you could do a shot every time he makes fun of his own celebrity. One time he was in some Asian country and ate some fruit that is like the most foul smelling food in the world. It made his cameraman barf!!

Meeg said...

Oh, durian. I once had a durian bubble tea on the Westbank. It was really good. I DID throw up later that night, but I don't think that was because of the durian.

Josie said...

Brian and I met him at a book signing at the little book store around the corner from Commander's. Brian told him he was going up to NYC to cook at the James Beard House and Anthony wrote directions to a secret bar in Brian's copy of his book. He was super cool and took smoke breaks like every ten minutes (hence the leathery skin). I think he's sexy, but you know I'm a freak like dat.

Ada said...

I love, love Anthony Bourdain!!!! Zach, Sushi and I recently watched his take on Tuscany shot with a very humorous directorial affection that hinted very loudly to Fellini and Dante! It was needless to say, PERFECTION!!!! Love the man, want to be him... say, if anyone wants to give me a wonderous gift one day... give me a night out with this dude....Preferably in Monaco or Lagos or Hong Kong... ok, I'd settle for a night or with him in Bogota too... hehehee... he'd be a lot of fun too.. .seen his experiments with Absinthe in Paris... for fck's sake.. he LOVES the Ramones!

Meeg said...

I saw the Tuscany episode.

Recently, I watched the episode where he goes to Sao Paulo which really made me want to go there. He ate a lot of pork too.