Thursday, August 9, 2007

Hong Kong: getting there

My flight to Hong Kong was on Cathay Pacific. Baylor Heather was on the same flight as me so we met at the airport.

It seemed like most of the other passengers were Chinese or Chinese Americans, and (seriously) they were all travelling with small children. I didn't think this boded well, but actually all the children seemed to stay quiet for the duration of the flight.

The flight from JFK to Hong Kong took sixteen hours. I guess Hong Kong is basically on the other side of the globe from the East Coast (the time difference was 12 hours). Our plane actually flew up to the North Pole and then down over China. This of course brought to my mind the Arlo Guthrie song "Comin in to Los Angeles" which starts with the line "Coming in from London from over the pole..."


I had imagined this long flight was going to be hell, but it turned out to be not half as bad as I feared. I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before and was thus exhausted: hence I had no problem sleeping through most of the flight once they dimmed the cabin lights.

Shortly after they turned the lights back on the flight crew started serving dinner (since it would be around 9 PM in Hong Kong when we landed). Heather would later comment on how it was kind of weird to wake up and eat dinner, but my stomach was OK with it. I feel like after being on the plane for 16 hours and sleeping through a good number of said hours my body didn't really know which way was up. Thus -- so I thought at the time -- it wasn't too hard to convince my internal clock that it was now 9 at night.

1 comment:

nola32 said...

coming into los angeles. bringin' in a couple of kis. don't touch my bags if you please, mr customs man!