Sunday, June 3, 2007

Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America

This is old news, but you may not have heard about Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification, the book which won the prestigious Diagram Oddest title of the year award.

Stray Shopping Carts beat out the front runner, How Green Were the Nazis?, which offers readers a serious treatement of the oft overlooked environmental policies of the Third Reich.

Riveting stuff.

I'm sure that Stray Shopping Carts has been receiving a lot more publicity (i.e. some publicity) since its big win. I for one looked up the book on the internet, intrigued by its curious name. Turns out the book is kind of awesome. The editorial review on Amazon.com describes it as "A must-have for anyone with a passion for shopping carts and a love of the great outdoors."


It features a thorough classification system to help you properly identify any stray shopping carts you may be lucky enough to catch in their natural habitat along with photographs which range from the poetically mundane to the hilarious. It somehow manages to make you empathize with the common shopping cart and appreciate all the messes it might find itself in.

I think it would make a great coffee table book / conversation piece and maybe we could help make stray shopping cart watching a "popular" hobby, like bird watching.

In my research, I came across the website for the Stray Shopping Cart Project which inspired the Field Guide. Check it out if you want to learn about the classification system or if you want to see photographs of vandalized shopping carts submerged in water.


WHAT I COOKED TONIGHT: morroccan carrot salad with olive oil, garlic, cumin, black pepper, red pepper flakes, salt, lemon juice and fresh mint.
Also saffron rice which ended up coming out like a tasty porridge: first I used too little liquid (vegetable broth and carrot juice) then I used added too much liquid I guess. Here's the recipe i kinda sorta followed. I used olive oil instead of butter and instead of using a cinnamon stick and cardamon seeds and all that I used hawaj and powdered cinnamon. I also mixed in carrot juice with the vegetable broth, and instead of boiling the rice on the stovetop I poured the ingredients into the rice cooker. I think I went wrong because (a) I didnt let the rice soak long enough before hand (as the recipe suggests) and (b) I didnt measure how much rice I was using. I'll let you know if I ever master this recipe.

TV SHOW CURRENTLY ON PAUSE: Brothers and Sisters

LAST SONG I LISTENED TO: Nina Simone - Four Women


Shopping cart images taken from http://www.strayshoppingcart.com.

1 comment:

Josie said...

now i know what to get my 'downtown' friend for Hanukah, for just this past Memorial Day we sat across from an abandoned cart and plotted ways to use it for fun and of course, for evil.