Tuesday, June 12, 2007

And that's the way it is in Minnesota

A lot of you may have already heard me talking about how much I dig the Dresden Dolls. In case you haven't already been turned on to this duo (comprised of singer/pianist Amanda Palmer and drummer Brian Viglione), their musical stylings have been characterised as "punk cabaret".

Amanda's vocals sometimes remind me of a stronger, more musically proficient Courtney Love and the pounding piano accompaniment rocks. Their musical influences are said to include British punk, alternapop, girl rock, and (most interestingly) the cabaret of the Weimar Republic. The duo is also known for the theatricality of their live performances.

Anyway, I signed up for the Dresden Dolls newsletter a while back and thus I was alerted that they just released the video for "The Shores of California" off their latest album Yes, Virginia.... I was pretty psyched because this is a catchy tune (which references evolution, Noah's ark, and Homer), and it was the first song I heard which really made me sit up and take notice of the Dolls. They released the video on YouTube since music videos on television have gone the way of the dodo.

It's a pretty fun, campy video, and Amanda is definitely stylin'.

The Dresden Dolls are also playing on the True Colors Tour this month along with Erasure, Debbie Harry, Cyndie Lauper and Margaret Cho.

Oh, and you may also want to check out the YouTube video for another of my favorite Dresden Dolls songs (off their first album) "Coin-Operated Boy"

No comments: