Thursday, May 24, 2007

I like my anime like I like my coffee (sans giant robots)

I saw an ad for this anime movie the other day called Paprika which looks pretty awesome.

The director's name is Satoshi Kon. I really enjoyed what I've seen of his previous work, especially Paranoia Agent, a 13 episode miniseries, which is probably of the most adult and thought- provoking anime I've ever seen.

Paranoia Agent tells the story of a series of attacks which take place around Tokyo, the perpertrator of which appears to be an 11-year-old boy outfitted with a red cap, inline skates and a metal bat. Oddly enough "lil slugger's" victims all seem to be people who feel like they're emotionally trapped, and in some ways their attack brings them relief. The series explores this social phenomenon from different angles and shows how it affects the lives of a crosssection of characters. If you've never seen Paranoia Agent and you like serious cartoons, you should definitely rent it. Like I said, this is very mature anime and there's nary a giant robot in sight.

In the meantime, I'm happy to see Satoshi Kon is still working, and, although it doesn't look like I'll get a chance to see it in the theatre, I will definitely rent Paprika when it comes out on DVD.

1 comment:

Josie said...

OMG Yabori and i have been talking about Paprika for a while now!! It looks amazing!!